Saturday, December 16, 2017
   
Text Size
 
 

City Clerks
Fire Department
Police Department

Margate City Clerks 1885-2000

Robert K. Patterson for the Margate City Historical Society
Reprinted here with the permission of the author.
In the late 1880's Margate City belonged to Egg Harbor Township and was governed by them and was known as "South Atlantic City." In 1885 the townspeople decided to break loose and form their own government. This document contains the names of the "city clerks" of the Borough of South Atlantic City 1885-1897, South Atlantic City 1897-1909, and Margate City 1909 until the present. Dates may overlap due to making appointments during the year. When Margate City was still governed by Egg Harbor Township, Leopold Harbright was acting city clerk. He resigned in 1885 when we became the Borough of South Atlantic City.
City Clerks for the Borough of South Atlantic City
Daniel T. Woods
1885-1886
Anthony Gertzen Jr.
1886-1889
Julian Horne
1889-1889
George W. Walling
1889-1894
Charles Hart
1894-1897
City clerks for the City of South Atlantic City
Charles Hart
1897-1909
City clerks for the City of Margate City
Charles Hart
1909-1911
George W. Webb
1911-1912
Augustine B. Repetto
1912-1916
William A. McArdle
1916-1918
Anthony Gertzen Jr.
1918-1923
H.Norman McConnell
1923-1932
Russell H. Denny
1932-1964
G. Roland Brown
1964-1977
Robert Gilchrist
1977-1992
Thomas D. Hiltner
1992-Present

 

     On August 6, 1942 Chief Miller took a leave of absence to serve with the Maritime Commission during World War II. He was lost at sea. When he was declared missing in action by the military the City Fathers appointed a new Police Chief and a new Fire Chief.
Fire Chief Charles E. Miller III
1942-1956

     Fire Chief Miller was appointed Acting Chief of the Margate City Fire Department on August 1, 1942. He was appointed Property Officer of the Civil Defense Equipment on April 15, 1943. He was appointed permanent Chief in the latter part of 1943 or the early part of 1944. He was the first to serve as a single Chief. His father Charles Miller Jr. had been both Police and Fire Chief from 1926-1942. Chief Charles E. Miller III was placed on sick leave in the latter part of 1956.
Fire Chief John "Teddy" Baker
1957-1958

    John "Teddy" Baker was appointed Acting Chief of the Margate City Fire Department while Chief Charles Miller III was on sick leave. He received his permanent appointment January 1, 1957. Chief Baker went on sick leave himself in the latter part of that same year.
Fire Chief Guido Janelli
1959-1973

     Fire Chief Janelli was appointed as a Lieutenant of the Margate City Fire Department on January 1, 1957. During Chief Bakers illness he was promoted to Acting Chief January 1, 1958. He was made permanent Chief on April 6, 1959 and served in that capacity until his retirement in January 1973.
Fire Chief Edward Woods
1974-1991

     Fire Chief Woods was appointed as a temporary fireman in 1945 and was declared permanent in 1947. He achieved the rank of Lieutenant on January 1, 1958 and was appointed Captain in 1959. He was made temporary Deputy Chief in 1966 and was appointed Chief in October 1974. He retired from the Margate City Fire Department on March 1, 1991.
Fire Chief Vincent Jones
1922-2000

     Chief Jones started as a fireman on August 14, 1945. He was appointed Captain of the Margate City Fire Department on April 26, 1967 and secured the rank of Deputy Chief on April 5, 1988. He was appointed as Chief on October 1, 1992 and retired in May of 2000.
Fire Chief John Kelley
2000-Present

    John Kelley was hired as a firefighter on January 24, 1975. He attended the Atlantic City Fire Department Training Academy. Her served as a firefighter and emergency medical technician (EMT) until July 3, 1986. when he was promoted to the rank of Captain. He was Shift Commander of the Third Platoon until September 9, 1993 when he was promoted to the rank of Deputy Chief where he was in charge of the day-to-day operations of the department. He became a certified Fire Instructor and joined the staff of the Atlantic County Fire Training Center in 1992. He is also a State Ceretified Fire Official/Fire Inspector.
     Chief Kelley is the Deputy Emergency Management Coordinator for Margate City. He was named Chief of the Fire Department on May 2, 2000; he oversees all fire, rescue emergency medical services (EMS) in the city. He is a fifth generation firefighter in Margate City having been preceded by his father, grandfather, great grandfather, and great great grandfather. His family has resided in Margate since 1898 (at that time called the City of South Atlantic City).

 

Margate City Police Department
A Brief History of the Margate City Police Department

Margate City Police Department
Reproduced with the permission of the Margate City Historical Society

     Margate City's Police Department was organized in 1905. Our first appointed officer was Ollie Hackney. William Van Dexter joined the fledgling force in 1909 and was followed by William B. Devereux, whose .00 per month salary was supplemented by .00 for serving as truant officer and dog catcher. These officers patrolled on foot and sometimes rode bicycles. Motorcycles were introduced in 1926, and by 1928 the Police Department consisted of four patrolmen and Chief Charles E. Miller. Telephone call boxes were used for communication. Officers were signaled to call headquarters by a light atop city hall, which flashed when they were needed. Patrol cars were purchased in 1929, and radios were added in 1941 replacements. In the shadow of Margate City's historic and celebrated landmark, Lucy the Elephant, our community has continued to grow and prosper.Margate City's proud Police Department has also grown and has kept pace with state of the art developments in law enforcement techniques and equipment to ensure the safety and security of our constantly expanding population. Police Headquarters, the third location in department history, is now housed in a modern, recently remoldled building at 111 Norht Decatur Avenue. At this November, 1996 writing, Police Chief Roger Reid, reporting to Public Safety Commissioner Sigmund Rimm, commands a force of 30 men and women in blue, including Deputy Chief David Wolfson, Captain William Fritz, three lieutenants, three sergeants, and eighteen partolemen, along with two detectives, six communications operators, including a supervisor, and supporting administrative and maintenance personnel.
Police Chief Biographies
Police Chief Charles E. Miller Jr.

     Charles E. Miller Jr. was appointed as a policeman on April 1, 1923. From September 6, 1923 until January 1, 1924 he served as Constable. On April 17, 1924 h was appointed Chief of Police. On February 11, 1926 he was also appointed as Chief of the Fire Department. Police Chief Milller was the first and only Chief who served simultaneously as head of both the Fire and Police Departments.
     On August 6, 1942 Chief Miller took a leave ob absence to serve with the Maritime Commission during World War II. He was lost at sea. When he was declared missing in action by the military the City Fathers appointed a new Police Chief and a new Fire Chief.
Police Chief Clement L. Heiser

     Chief Heiser entered the police department as a motorcycle patrolman in June of 1928. He was appointed acting Chief when Chief Miller took his leave of absence to join the military. When Chief Miller was declared lost at sea during World War II acting Chief Heiser was appointed Chief as of August 1, 1943. He served in that position until 1967.
Police Chief James J. Creaghe

     James J. Creaghe was born on April 17, 1922. He was appointed as a Patrolman on April 1, 1946. He was appointed Detective in 1950 and was then appointed Detective Sergeant in 1953. He was acting Chief of Police from 1965-1967. He was officially appointed as Chief of Police in March of 1967 and served until he retired in April of 1988.
Police Chief Roger Reid

     Police Chief Reid was born on November 23, 1944. He served in the US Airforce from 1961-1966, his rank at discharge was Sergeant of the Air Police. He started as a Patrolman for the City of Margate on January 9, 1967 and was promoted to Sergeant on May 2, 1975. He was again promoted to the rank of Lieutenant on February 2, 1978 and to Captain on October 31, 1980. On January 29, 1988 he was promoted to Deputy Chief and his promotion to Chief quickly followed on April 21, 1988. He is a thirty year resident of Margate City and is a commercial nstrument pilot.Chief Reid retired in May of 2000.
Police Chief David Wolfson

     Police Chief Wolfson started as a patrolman on January 19, 1984. He was promoted to Sergeant on April 7, 1988 and to Lieutenant on July 1, 1993. He was then promoted to Captain on November 10, 1994, and then to Deputy Police Chief on October 10, 1996, He was promoted to Chief of Police on May 1, 2000.
 
Margate City Police Patch History
     Margate City's Police uniform patch consists of the words "Margate Police, NJ" in white letters on a gold bordered black background. A white circular field with symbols of the sea, includes a scallop shell highlighted in green. Superimposed upon the shell, which is surrounded by tiny green sea life, is the trident of Neptune, mythological God of the Sea. A banner at the bottom bears the legend "Marine Sylvan City."

Check out some of the earlier renditions!