Use of the multipurpose room is primarily for programs conducted or sponsored by the Margate Library, and secondarily, for programs of established and recognized institutions, groups, and associations with educational, cultural, or civic purposes. The fact that a group is permitted to use a room does not in any way constitute an endorsement of the group’s policies or beliefs by the Margate Library. All meetings must be open to the public.
Programs that are planned by the Margate Library take precedence over meetings of outside groups. The Margate Library reserves the right to pre-empt the use of meeting space for library purposes and will attempt to notify the scheduled group of the change as early as possible.
As long as meetings do not conflict with one another, there is no objection to regular meetings of the same group; however, in fairness to the numerous groups of the community, reservations are taken not more than three (3) months in advance.
APPLICATION: Formal application for the use of the multipurpose room is made with the Library Director. An individual responsible for the multipurpose must complete and sign an application form. Reconfirmation of the meeting must be made with the Library Director at least one week prior to the meeting. Cancellations or change of meeting dates also must be cleared with the Library Director.
General Rules of Use
1. The multipurpose room may not be used for religious services or sales promotion. The room may not be used for private tutoring services. Sale of merchandise is strictly prohibited.
2. Political meetings are acceptable for the discussion of issues but not for campaign purposes, fundraising, party caucuses or meetings closed to the public.
3. Except as a designation of location, the name of the Margate Library may not be used in any publicity relating to use of the multipurpose room.
4. Individuals or groups using the multipurpose room shall secure any necessary performance licenses and indemnify the Margate Library for any failure on their part to do so.
5. Attendance at authorized meetings may not exceed the maximum room capacity of 30 people.
6. Groups of children or teenagers must be supervised by one adult for every ten children/teens.
7. No cooking may be done or food served without approval. No alcohol may be served at any time. No smoking is permitted. Burning of any materials, including incense and candles, is prohibited.
8. There is no charge for meeting room use during the library’s regular hours of operation. Programs should be planned so that meeting space will be vacated 15 minutes before closing time.
9. The multipurpose room must be left in acceptable, un-littered condition. Tables and chairs should be returned to the positions in which they were found.
10. No games of chance may be played.
11. Meetings must be conducted in such a way as not to disturb library operations.
12. Use of audio-visual equipment must be arranged at time of reservation.
13. Library personnel will not move or rearrange heavy equipment.
14. The Margate Library will not provide storage space and assumes no responsibility for equipment or personal articles belonging to applicants or their guests.
15. The applicant accepts liability for either damage to library facilities or loss of library property.
16. The Margate Library reserves the right to close due to adverse weather conditions or other emergencies and will attempt to contact the applicant.
17. The applicant assumes responsibility for participant accommodations (e.g. assistive listening devices, etc.) and specific articles of compliance as required by the Americans with Disabilities Act.
18. Individual patrons may have impromptu use of the unscheduled room by seeking permission of staff at the Circulation Desk.
19. Library personnel must have free access to the multipurpose room at all times. The Margate Library retains the right to monitor all meetings conducted on the premises to ensure compliance with the above regulations. Infringement of any of the regulations here stated shall be grounds for denial of future use of meeting space.
The multipurpose room policy is determined by the Margate Library Board of Trustees, and is subject to review and revision at the discretion of the Board. Exceptions may be made at the discretion of the Margate Library Board of Trustees as it deems in the interests of the Margate Library and the community. Appeals to any of these policies may be submitted to the Board of Trustees in writing.
Completed forms may be hand delivered, mailed, or faxed to:
Margate City Public Library
c/o Multipurpose Room Request
8100 Atlantic Avenue
Margate City, NJ 08402
MULTIPURPOSE ROOM REQUEST FORM
Read the Multipurpose Room Policy before completing this form.
Date of Application: ___________________
Name of Organization __________________________________________________
Name of Contact Person________________________________________________
Position in Organization_________________________________________________
Program Information (please note if attached):
Type of Activity: __________________________________________
Expected Attendance: Adults_______________ Children__________
Will refreshments be served?________________________________
*If refreshments are to be served, you must speak with Library Staff to make arrangements.
Note: Attendance is limited to 30 persons. We have read and agree to abide by the Margate Public Library’s policies and procedures governing the use of the Library’s Multipurpose Room. We also agree to defend and hold harmless and indemnify the City of Margate and any of its employees or agents from any claims, suits, or other actions arising from, caused by, or which are the result of any alleged act or omission of any organization, corporation, guest, invitee, licensee, visitor or other person present on the Library premises for the purpose of participating in, organizing, assisting, enjoying, supervising or in any other way furthering the activity to be held (as described above) on the date(s) listed above. The undersigned is authorized to execute this agreement on behalf of this organization.
Signature of Applicant _______________________________________________
Please return this completed form to the Library, no less than 10 days before your scheduled use of the room.
If you have questions, please call the Library Director at 822-4700.
Approved: __________________________________ Date: _________________
A copy of this application will be mailed to you as confirmation if requested.