Margate City Public Library Internet Policy
As part of the mission of the Margate City Public Library, free access to the Internet is available. Non-card holders can request access at the Circulation Desk.
The Library endorses the American Library Association Bill of Rights and all library users are provided equal access to resources available on the Internet.
Since the Internet is an unregulated medium, not all of its sources provide accurate, complete or current information. Each user must accept responsibility for determining which information is appropriate. Parents or guardians of minors are responsible for the information accessed by their children, and are advised to supervise their children’s Internet use while at the Library.
Internet computers may not be used for fraudulent or unlawful purposes, including inappropriate behavior which violates local, state or federal law. Certain web sites are not suitable to a public library setting. Viewing of these sites is inappropriate.
The staff has the authority to terminate an Internet session at any time due to loud and disruptive behavior, downloading software, invading system security or damaging equipment. Continuing disregard for viewing or usage policies will result in revocation of Internet privileges. Anyone mishandling hardware or software will be charged for repairs.
POLICY FOR USING PUBLIC COMPUTERS
1. Internet sessions must be reserved in person.
2. Sessions are 30 minutes in length. Before the end of a session, you will have the option to extend your time so long as no one is waiting to use the computer.
3. Please speak with Library Staff if you are taking a test or filling in a form online that requires an extended session.
4. If the person holding a reserve on a computer does not show after 5 minutes, the computer becomes available to other users. Users must vacate workstations when session ends.
5. Only software installed by the Library may be used. Recommendations to install software should be made in writing.
6. Save all work. USB Memory Sticks are available for purchase. Work not saved before the end of your session cannot be recovered.
7. Printing costs are ten cents per page for black, color prints are twenty five cents per page.
8. Individual print jobs may not exceed five dollars for black and twenty dollars for color.
9. All Internet workstations are turned off 5 minutes before closing.
10. Owing excessive Fines/Fees to the Library will result in temporary suspension of Internet privileges.
You must provide your own headphones
Adopted February 19th, 2015 Download a printer-friendly version here!